Chartered July 12, 1948
The Chapter was originally Organized as “The Washington Safety Society”, an independent society of safety engineers founded on April 13, 1938, in the District of Columbia. The new society officially adopted it’s first Constitution, By-laws, and name on May 4, 1938; there were 24 charter members.
Affiliation with the National ASSE was decided, by referendum vote announced at the (Washington) Society’s annual meeting on June 15, 1948. The Washington Safety Society was voted chapter status by the ASSE National Executive Committee on July 12, 1948, making the Washington Chapter the 38th Chapter of the National ASSE.
On July 23, 1962, the name of the organization was officially changed to National Capital Chapter, American Society of Safety Engineers.
The new millennium saw a growing metropolitan area and increasing traffic congestion, and the Chapter became “geographically challenged” as members found it harder and harder to travel to meetings and events.
In an effort to better serve the ASSE members of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, the Chapter formed the Northern Virginia (NOVA) Section in 2005. At great sacrifice to the Chapter but keeping the member’s needs in the forefront, the Chapter split and the NOVA Section became the NOVA Chapter in 2006.
The National Capital Chapter is located in Region VI and now serves members in an area that includes Washington D.C. and the Maryland Counties of Montgomery, Prince George’s, Calvert, Charles, and St Mary’s; and any others that may be formed within the geographical area encompassed by the above named counties.